TOWN OF BEDFORD IN HISTORY
1754: New London becomes county seat of newly formed Bedford County, comprising 50 acres deeded by Maj. William Callaway, located at the intersection of two colonial trading roads.
1775: New London village has grown to include 80 houses, a number of fine mercantile establishments, and several ordinaries. A colonial arsenal and muster ground were expanded during the Revolutionary War by the Continental government and included a powder magazine, laboratory, a musket repair shop, and arsenal buildings to produce gunpowder, cartridges, shells and accoutrements.
1838: Avenel Plantation, built on 200 acres hosted luminaries such as Robert E. Lee and Edgar Allan Poe.
1864: Union General David Hunter’s troops come through Bedford (Hunter’s Raid) on their to and from Lynchburg.
June 6, 1944: D Day: Bedford, with a population of 3,200, suffered higher losses per-capita than any other American community.
1984: Bedford listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
June 6, 2001: The National D-Day Memorial opens.